10 Tips For Relaxation
For those of us who missed our shot at experiencing the world’s most relaxing room, here are Professor Wiseman’s stress-busting tips:
1. Head for the countryside. Research shows that spending around 30 minutes in green and quiet surroundings will make you feel significantly more relaxed.
2. Listen to soothing music. Listening to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, a best-selling relaxation CD, or nature sounds lowers your blood pressure.
3. Carry out a relaxation exercise. Starting at your toes and working upwards, spend a few moments slowly tensing, and then releasing, the muscles of each part of your body.
4. Spend time with friends. Being with people you like helps distract you from anxious thoughts and lifts your mood.
5. Help others. Research shows that even carrying out a small act of kindness, such as making a donation to charity, helps improve your mood and decreases stress.
6. Accept what you can’t change. There is no point dwelling on the past, or thinking about what can’t be altered. Instead, focus on how you can create a better future.
7. Smile more. Don’t take life too seriously, and improve your ability to cope with stressful situations by seeing the funny side of whatever happens.
8. Use lavender. Research shows that most people find the smell of lavender especially relaxing, and that it also helps them get a good night’s sleep.
9. Hit the gym. Exercise promotes the production of endorphins, which, in turn, make you feel better about yourself and become more relaxed.
10. Look at the sky. If it is a nice day, lie on the grass, look up at a clear sky, and allow positive thoughts and images to drift through your mind.